On Sunday 22 May 13 DPA members and friends walked over Dartmoor from Cullever Steps outside Okehampton to Batworthy near Chagford, a distance of about 7 miles. The route followed the boundary of the ‘Forest of Dartmoor’ established in 1240 by twelve Jurors appointed by Henry III, with a few minor deviations. Presumably the 13th century jurors had servants and ponies, but perhaps not such good waterproofs as 21st century walkers. We climbed Irishman’s wall and Cosdon Hill, crossed four rivers (East Okement, Taw, Wallabrook and Teign), and passed several significant prehistoric features including the Little Hound Tor stone circle and neighbouring White Moor stone and Scorhill stone circle.
We found a hut circle not previously recorded and enjoyed a bit of bog hopping around the Gidleigh Leat on Gidleigh Common. Finally several of the party passed through the Tolmen stone, so if legend is to be believed, they are now protected from arthritis.
Getting to and from the start and finish points was helped by Derek carrying some of the walkers in the DPA vehicle”.
The remaining seven ‘legs’ of the perambulation are in the DPA programme over the next 3 months – see the Events page on the DPA website.