Eighteen of us gathered at Cold East Cross (formerly Ham Hill Cross), ready for the walk to Buckland Beacon and the Commandments Stones, and also, incidentally the 1935 Jubilee Stone. From the start of the walk – on a grey, mizzly day to start with. The walk started with seeing parish boundary stones incised with A (Ashburton), B (Buckland) and EPB – Edmund Pollexfen Bastard, Lord of Buckland Manor. One of the EPB stones was missing the year seen on the others, 1837.
We saw the Teign estuary in the distance, about 12 miles away.
These stones, erected by Edmund Bastard to mark the boundaries of his manor, also function (in this srea) as Ashburton / Buckland parish boundary stones.
The stone above, caught in good sunlight on a reconnaissance walk, shows the “A” very well. From memory, this is the second stone encountered and is the one where EPB is incised on a rough face where there is no trace of the year.
Approaching Welstor Newtake wall, built in 1771, there is a pair of boundary stones, one “recent” i.e. 1837, and one very ancient.
An early view of Buckland Beacon, above.
The line of Scots pine trees, with their paired needle leaves, suggests that they were planted by someone and that possible someone lived in this srea a long time ago. There is no sign of any dwelling today.
The sheep creep enables easy access to examine the trees and the dry stone wall with some huge stones used in its construction.
The view inside the newtake demonstrates a good area of turf but the low-growing Western gorse and bracken are really colonising the area.
The Commandments Stones are very low on the flank of the Beacon ……
W Clement, who cut the 1547 letters, lived for a few eeks in a nearby cow shed, somewhere near a stream.
The whole text that is on the stones can be seen via the link to other photographs at the end of this post.
Leusdon Church is quite easy to see but closer to the Beacon, and in line with it, the tower of Buckland Church is seen almost obscured by a tree.
It came as something of a surprise to realise that the Warren House Inn was visible for Buckland Beacon.
From the Beacon, after coffee, we proceeded to Welstor, trying to See Welstor Rock – which we did from further along the path.
Welstor above, Welstor Rock below …..
Ten years ago there waere paths to the Rock but now they seem to have become lost in the gorse – there is no sign of a path on Google Earth.
There were blackberries on the brambles to be seen later in the walk.
We paused briefly at the building on the Welstor Common Rifle Range. On the old 1886 25-inch Ordnance Survey map, “Targets” are shown in this area, in the top right corner of the map.
This is “behind” the building and its activities have no doubt obliterated some of the rifle range features that were here.
The spleenworts is found in the mortar-filled joints between the blocks in the old building.
The group photograph shows the tip of the fir tree growing in the old sand pit.
The rifle range only functioned for about ten years. In 1935, Ashburton Golf Club started up in this area. It is hard to believe that all the vegetation seen here was once unknown!
Old gate-post means old gate-hanger.
The path above leads straight down the golfers’ fairway, perhaps.
The wall contains a very impressive step stile …..
A closer view.